About Me

My photo
I am a young onset Parkinson's patient. Freezing of gait is my worst symptom , my world was becoming smaller because I was afraid of venturing out. I fell so much that my knees were constantly swollen and bruised. I didn't want to go through brain surgery (DBS) and my meds didn't help so I needed a solution and began my serach for ways to walk without freezing.

Friday, July 18, 2014

Parkinson's Disease : Freezing of Gait


Freezing of gait is a symptom of Parkinson disease. It is frustrating and often leads to loss of quality of life.
I am in my mid forties and I have young onset Parkinson’s disease. I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s when I was 36 years old. 

It started as a shuffle which slowly progressed to freezing. I kept falling at home, walking through the doorways became difficult. Over time, I stopped taking escalators, stopped crossing roads and totally lost confidence walking in public. 

The common tips and tricks that people used for FOG did not work for me. I was getting desperate. So I searched for a new way and with the help of tai chi modified a way of walking commonly found in many oriental martial arts and came up with a simple solution which really helped me walk again. 

My mom who had a hip operation tried this method and said it felt like walking on air. It required less effort compared to her usual way of walking. So with this in mind, I am calling this method "walking on air". 

YoungOnsetPd.

No comments:

Post a Comment