About Me

My photo
I am a young onset Parkinson's patient. Freezing of gait is my worst symptom , my world was becoming smaller because I was afraid of venturing out. I fell so much that my knees were constantly swollen and bruised. I didn't want to go through brain surgery (DBS) and my meds didn't help so I needed a solution and began my serach for ways to walk without freezing.

Friday, July 18, 2014

Walking on air : Solution for Freezing of Gait


Changing the way we think about walking.

The solution is to simplify the way we think about walking. Instead of using our feet as springs and having to push them off the ground,  just swing or slide them forward to take a step. This removes the need to push off the ground.

To try this, just stand normally with your feet slightly apart.  To take your first step, just slide one foot gently outward.Then shift your weight onto the front foot and slide the other foot out. So instead of pushing your foot off the ground , it is just a gentle slide forward.
It is like the slow bridal march in a wedding procession. 

It will feel like walking on air or like gliding accross the floor. It will feel like a lot less effort but not a natural way to walk.  



No comments:

Post a Comment